Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sledding on a date...

So next bad date. Also a first date....
   So a little more back ground, I went to the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus for school. Think a place with 7 months of winter 3 weeks of spring and fall and the best summers you could imagine(75 and sunny every day). So in the winter things get, shall we say... COLD. The relationship I was in had come to an abrupt and unpleasant end(I have issues the other half of relationships being unfaithful, if I wanted to be a swinger I would have said so up front) and I was looking for a new relationship.

   As things would have it a friend of mine arranged a blind date with a friend of theirs. So we meet up at the local Dennies, a set of cheese burgers, I pick up the check,  and we set out in my car to go to the local ice carving display(they do last a while....). I am driving down the main road in town, called Airport way, a 45 mile per hour road, 2 lanes in each direction, the radio is on and she starts singing along to American Pie(because who doesn't secretly sing), I join in and we are right in the middle of a chorus line going 45 down the road when she reaches into the middle of the car and yanks the emergency brake HARD.

   Now my car was a rear wheel drive Nissan 240 SX (,small 4 seat, rear wheel drive, slightly larger than needed engine, manual transmission, and amazing handling). Now if you have ever been driving at 45 MPH on icy roads and you have had the emergency brake pulled you will absolutely know the level of panic that hits as you completely lose control of your car and attempt to get it to the side of the road. I managed to avoid side swiping the Suburban next to me and not slide into the median and nail a telephone pole and get to a stop. The front half of the car is currently almost touching the telephone pole in the middle of the road, and the back half is in the traffic lane at about a 45 degree angle. I think the only way I managed any shred of control of the car was that I had practice in abandoned parking lots while singing my own theme music and pretending I am James Bond in a high speed pursuit.  

   I very violently grabbed the emergency brake and slammed it back down,  shift into reverse to get out of the median, and to a safe spot in the emergency lane. I then ask what the hell she was up to, she proceeded to sputter and claim she had no idea what the problem was. I was not a gentleman and ordered her to get the "F*** out of my car" (YES, in the emergency lane of a busy road at -10, it was in town she could walk somewhere safely, she had a coat). That was the end of the date, I wasn't really interested in ice carvings at that point. Our mutual friend got an ear full later in class and turns out they barely knew each other.

I would rate this one as an easy 6 but with a solid 5 seconds of 9.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Crazy lady!!!! I am glad you kicked her out of your car!
    Please continue with your blog. It takes awhile to develop a following. Leave comments. Grab some blogs to follow off other blogs. I got here from a high school friend who linked you on her blog. Sorry I can't recall here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog. As someone who is also in the dating world (though no where near as interesting as yours) this hits home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too cute to have such terrible dates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Moncton Girl, you are way too cute to be having such terrible dates!
    Thankfully my dates aren't as bad as yours have been!
    I found you from Amber at Airing my dirty laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I am happy to have readers. Eventually after I get a couple hundred(only half joking here folks) blogs I intend to slap a binding on them and try my hand at publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I as well agree with Moncton Girl. Hope the crazies stay away.

    ReplyDelete